Thursday, August 30, 2012

I made a pie

Posted by Brit

For Brandon.  Not for myself.  I didn't eat a single piece because eating fruit pies isn't really my thing.  But baking fruit pies, well that is fun and somewhat therapeutic and is definitely my thing.  I'm told this one's excellent.  He's a tough critic, so enjoy!

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Recipe for double pie crust here.  I've been using this Better Homes and Gardens Pastry for Double Crust Pie since I taught myself to bake pies! I highly recommend it, but if you've got one you prefer that would work too.

1 pound strawberries
1 pounds rhubarb
1 C. Sugar
1/2 C. All purpose flour
3 T. Butter
1 egg yolk

1. Make pie crust.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
3. Mix strawberries and rhubarb, add premixed flour and sugar. Coat fruit with flour sugar mix.
4. Pour filling into pie crust and put dollops of butter on top.
5. Put top crust layer on. If you want to get fancy you can use a pastry cutter (or butter knife) and cut a lattice top. I just cut a simple design in mine. Do cut at least a small x in the center to allow steam to escape. Take a fork and press together bottom and top edges of crust.
6. Brush top with egg yolk to get a golden crust. Sprinkle with sugar.
7. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.

0 comments: