Saturday, February 2, 2013

Rights

Posted by Brit

Last night Brandon and I went to see a one woman play about Rachel Corrie, a young American woman who was in Palestine trying to help Palestinians lead a peaceful, non-violent, resistance against the Israeli government and militia in 2003. She was run over by a bulldozer while protesting the demolition of a Palestinian home by Israelis. Honestly, I don't know much about this conflict. I have a few friends who are interested in it, and I definitely have a lot more to learn. The point of this post, though, is to remind people (how I was reminded last night) how important human rights are. I am so lucky to have been born here and to have been born white. I am so lucky to have been born late in the 20th century, when many women before me already fought a long battle to be equal in this country. Though women still have a ways to go here, we're luckier than many women on this planet and the women before us faced a lot of the tough stuff so we didn't have to. I am lucky to have been born straight. I've had it pretty easy. People think human rights gets complex because there are so many levels to it. Just consider that we are all human and not one of us has the right to judge or dictate the other based on our own beliefs. Human rights boils down to treating others the way you'd like to be treated and helping those less fortunate than yourself. This is part of almost every religion and/or belief the same thing, so lets follow through with it. Fight for the benefit of future generations. There's so much more I could say...  Please just take time to consider others, to love others, to respect others. We're all human.

Off my soap box now, and about to enter nifty nut house and buy some damn tasty treats. :)

2 comments:

  1. I meant to comment on this awhile ago. Just wanted to say, "hear, hear!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... Kind of got on a soapbox there for a bit :) thanks!

      Delete