Sunday, October 23, 2011

Saltine Cracker Toffee

Posted by Brit

Yesterday I made Saltine Cracker Toffee.  I had this once as a child and loved it.  I didn't really know what it was though until I found this recipe on the internet the other day while checking out the website Pinterest. I saw a comment my friend Cassi made on my friend Ashley's facebook ("you really don't have a Pinterest?") and thought, "well gee, I don't either."  While I didn't sign for an account I did find this food blog, The Girl Who Ate Everything, and this recipe.

Ingredients:
1 C. Packed Brown Sugar
1 C. Unsalted Butter
2 C. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1 Sleeve Saltine Crackers

Set oven to 400 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with tin foil and then line it with saltines.  Make sure to put enough tin foil in your pan so that you can bend it up the edges.  This will help to keep the gooey caramel from escaping onto your pan.
Next melt together the butter and brown sugar.  Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 3 to 4 minutes.
While boiling the brown sugary butter mixture put the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at a time.  Stir in between microwaves.  Continue until smooth.
Pour the boiling caramel mixture over the saltines and spread to cover them completely.  Then put the saltines in the oven and bake for about 6 minutes.  When you pull the crackers they should be sort of "swimming" in the caramel.  Allow them to sit for about a minute so that the caramel hardens slightly.  It will then be easier to spread the melted chocolate over the caramel crackers.
Spread the chocolate and allow the toffee to cool completely.  Then break it up into pieces and enjoy!  Prior to breaking my toffee, but once it was completely cooled, I stuck it in the fridge for about 5 minutes.  This allows the chocolate to harden a bit more so it doesn't melt on your hands while breaking.

2 comments:

  1. I remember having this is a kid too! That girl's blog is awesome! I have made things from there that taste great! I bet the salty/sweet thing is what helps it taste so good.

    Also, you should sign up for Pinterest :)

    Cassi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still haven't signed up for pinterest. probably won't ever. no time.

    ReplyDelete