Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Creamy Cheesy Cauliflower Soup

Posted by Brit

I could never run a legitimate food blog.  Tonight's recipe doesn't have any photos because I didn't even think I would post about it.  It turned out so great I just had to share.  I adapted it from a Cabot Vermont ad I found in my Better Homes and Gardens magazine I got in the mail today as a replacement for the now defunct ReadyMade mag I used to get.  The original less fatty (and presumably less delicious) recipe can be found here.  My version is below.


Creamy Cheesy Cauliflower Soup

1 Tb. Cooking Oil
1 & 1/4 C. Chopped Onion
1 Medium Head Cauliflower, roughly chopped
2 & 1/2 C. Chicken Broth (we used 2.5 chicken bouillon cubes to about 2.75 C. water and boiled it)
3/4 C. Heavy Whipping Cream (okay, go with whole milk to save on the fat if you want)
1 C. Vermont Sharp White Cheddar, grated (we bought the Kroger/Private Selection brand)
2-3 Tb. Fresh Dill, chopped
Salt
Pepper

1. Chop Onion and Cauliflower
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion and saute for about 3 minutes until tender.  The onion shouldn't carmelize.  Add cauliflower and keep cooking for about 3 more minutes.
3. Add broth and heavy whipping cream.  Add a half teaspoon salt and a teaspoon pepper.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and puree mixture in batches.  Return to pan over medium low heat.  Stir in cheese and dill until cheese is melted.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve.  Throw a little extra dill on top for good flavor.

0 comments: