Monday, June 10, 2013

Grilled Chicken Black Bean Enchilada Casserole

Posted by Brit

Tonight I threw together this enchilada casserole from scratch.  I love cooking Mexican food because it's so easy to just wing it.  I've been craving enchiladas for a while and I usually make spinach and cheese enchiladas, but this time wanted to try something different.  I came home to a boyfriend who had done practically ALL of our laundry (and trust me, that was quite a job because that's a chore that we've both neglected for a while), and so I thought I'd make him this easy dinner.  I didn't plan to blog this, but it was so good!  So, I only have one picture of the finished casserole.  I make it in an 8x8 dish, so basically just double it if you want to make a 9 x 13.  An 8 x 8 is the perfect size for soft taco size tortillas, and the perfect size for two (with some lunch time left overs for both of us the next day).  Instead of rolling tortillas with the filling I layer the ingredients like a casserole, which really cuts down on prep time.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, though it was more mild than I would have liked.  Next time I'll add more jalapeno or red chili pepper.



Grilled Chicken Black Bean Enchilada Casserole

5 Soft Taco Size Tortillas (I use Mama Lupe's 98% Fat Free tortillas)
1 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (a little more than 1/2 a pound)
1 Can (10 oz.) Green Enchilada Sauce  (next size up if you like 'em saucy)
1 Can (15 oz.) Black Beans, drained and rinsed
1 Cup Frozen Corn, thawed
8 oz. All Natural Sour Cream
1.5 Cups Mexican Blend Cheese
1/2 a Large Yellow Onion
2 Cloves of Garlic
1 Jalapeno
Seasoning for Chicken (I used Kosher Salt, Fresh Cracked Pepper, Garlic Powder and Red Chili Pepper Powder)


Rinse Chicken Breast, then drizzle olive oil and add seasoning, let sit to absorb flavor.  Heat Grill to a medium-high heat, and once hot grill the chicken thorough, but don't overcook.

While the chicken cooks, dice onion, garlic and finely dice jalapeno and saute in olive oil until onion until onion is browned and tender.  I usually dice onion and throw it in, and then dice the rest of my ingredients.  When done, throw veggies into medium sized mixing bowl.  Along with your thawed corn.

Preheat oven to 350.

Place chicken on cutting board and using two forks, one to hold the chicken in place and one to "tear" it, and shred chicken, tossing it into your mixing bowl as you shred.

Add sour cream, half of your cheese and a quarter of your can of enchilada sauce to the bowl and mix with a rubber spatula until combined.  This will be your filling.

Spray your casserole dish lightly with cooking spray and spread a little enchilada sauce in the bottom of the dish.  Place a tortilla on top, add more sauce and sprinkle with cheese, and then add about 1/4 of your filling mixture and spread on tortilla.  Continue layering your sauce, cheese, tortillas and filling; your final layer should be a tortilla with the remainder of your sauce, and more cheese on top. 

Bake for 30-40 minutes until enchiladas are bubbling, then broil for a few minutes to brown up cheese and make the top layer crispy.

Enjoy!


0 comments: