Monday, September 12, 2011

Construction

Posted by Brit

I knew since I wasn't planning on going anywhere for Labor Day Weekend that I needed a project to keep me busy.  I decided to build a bookshelf for our living room.  After drawing some (rough) sketches to figure out what height and width I wanted Brandon helped me refine my idea.  We ended up finding an "Instructable" for some low-waste bookshelves.  There was absolutely no left over lumber or polyurethane when I was finished with the project.  I did have about a foot and a half of all thread rod left over.  After a couple of coats of poly I cut 8 pieces of the all thread rod and assembled the shelf.  I finished it last night and moved it into our living room.


1. Drill holes through wood.  2. Place rod through holes.  3. Put shelf boards on top of rods and bolt together.
The shelf is actually pretty darn stable.  It also fits perfectly in the living room.

The site I used to find the Instructable is http://www.instructables.com/.  I highly recommend it if you like DIY projects.  I also used it last year to find a template for a homemade notebook for Tia's birthday.  There are all sorts of different projects, and they include pictures and comments so you can see how the projects worked out for other people.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last comment was a fake out. ...time well spent looking at this blog post.

    ReplyDelete